How to use Geo Topology in LiveNX
Network topology mapping is the practice of graphing a communication network’s topology and representing all its nodes and links. Nodes are the points of connections for links which are the physical transmission media used to connect network devices. Mapping a network can be as rudimentary as using a graphics program to layout the physical nodes and links, even a pen and paper will do for small networks. But for the needs of enterprise size networks, the software is better at automatically gathering network information to build network maps.
What are Topology Mappers?
Topology mappers can range widely in features, but essentially all of the document and diagram networks. Typical mapper features include on-demand multi-level network discovery, real-time mapping, inventory reports, and optimized alternative network configurations. Enterprise topology mappers are often packaged with fully integrated network performance monitoring software packages and would allow for real-time network management and troubleshooting.
Topology mappers are essential for any IT department responsible for maintaining complex networks. By maintaining an accurate and timely map of their network, IT administrators can detect real-time network issues as well as anticipate bottlenecks within their configurations. Utilizing a topology mapper in combination with network performance monitoring software will help enterprises improve their network performance.
Visibility for Performance Management
As software defined networking enables the organizations to select more flexible service provider transport services and optimize the paths for remote application performance, seeing and knowing how applications are performing across the network, is best visualized in geo topology views for NetOps to filter and see the overlay. With LiveNX, NetOps gains complete visibility for applications and sites, for an end-to-end enterprise view of the complete multi-domain, multi-vendor, and multi-cloud performance and analytics.
To see how to get started with LiveNX’s Geo Topology Views check out our video below!
Geo Topology with LiveNX
Maybe a NetOps team wants to see a high-level geo map, showing all sites and their status – this can be done with these two types of topology:
- Geo Topology
- Logical Topology
The Geo Topology provides an overview of the sites monitored by LiveNX. It can be used for understanding site status, projecting application traffic between sites, and monitoring SD-WAN.
Geo topology shows a simple map with a color-coded site status. Other important things to note:
- The Current Alerts icon will provide a list of the most recent active Alerts. Clicking on an alert will provide more details and drill-down to additional data.
- There’s also an option to filter by any Geocode including country, state, zip, etc.
- Use zoom (+/-) to focus on the desired area of the map.
- When the Toggle Layout Lock is unlocked, it allows you to click-and-drag a Site icon to the position desired.
- If geolocation has been configured for a Site, the Site will default to the Site’s geo-coordinates.
- By clicking on the Application traffic of interest, a pop-up will show details of the Flow.
- Clicking on the cross-launch icon will open a curated Sankey diagram on a new browser tab.
- The Legend can be updated to select the context to show the application data and the Internet/Unknown will toggle showing applicable icons for each site sending Flow to either Internet or Unknown sites.
- SD-WAN will toggle showing SD-WAN tunnels between sites and tunnels are color-coded by status.
- Color-coded lines represent the DSCP value.
Best Practices of Geo Topology
A best practice is to use the Application filter combined with the Display by DSCP to quickly identify mismarked applications. Another is if you don’t want other users to change things in your topology, lock it so you will always have the exact view each time. Users can also create tabs for multiple views to break down your networks into multiple topologies. This is useful for large environments with thousands of sites to break down by region.
What LiveNX Provides
LiveNX includes a real-time network topology mapper to visualize discovered devices, interfaces, applications, VPNs, and users. Network and application performance data is shown in context on the network topology in an easy to interpret visual display.
LiveNX provides a platform to gather network analytics data at scale. LiveNX helps IT teams understand how the system behaves, why issues occurred and how it was resolved. LiveAction dashboards provide in-depth monitoring and visual analytics of your SD-WAN to overcome customer challenges. Learn more about LiveNX network monitoring software and see how you can start tackling SD-WAN challenges. Want to get in the driver’s seat and try LiveNX for yourself? Try our free download of LiveNX.